Project HB provides life-affirming fitness classes in Bristol and Bath. Project HB burst into life in 2013 as an award winning fitness blog and review site, when and asthmatic gym-dodger Carly Wilkinson found her voice and confidence through body positive fitness, and decided to share her journey.
Starting life as the ‘Project Hot B*tch’ blog, Carly reviewed hundreds of classes in London before taking the plunge, moving cities, changing careers and qualifying as a fitness instructor in 2017. Project Hot B*tch became Project Happy Body – joyful, sassy, celebratory fitness classes in Bristol and Bath.
Carly is a body-positive feminist, an advocate for realistic health and fitness for women, and a public speaker on positive body image. She is a gym instructor, with qualifications in indoor cycling, pre- and post-natal fitness, and understanding eating disorders.
Hi! I’m Carly. Yes, I wrote the above about myself in the third person. And yes, I am cringing a little at having done that. Allow me to swiftly distract you from my awkwardness with links to some of the wonderful press features, events, brand collaborations, hastily organised global protest marches, ambassadorships and speaker panels I’ve been lucky enough to be part of:
Press – publications
- “Expect The Unexpected” – Feature | Om Yoga Magazine | Sept ’18
- “We all need to support the Bearpit…” – Opinion piece | Bristol 24/7 | Jan ’18
- “Burpees in the Bearpit” – Feature | Bristol 24/7 | Jul ’17
- “I took control of my life with exercise” – Interview | Balance Magazine | Apr ’17
- “I was leading a peaceful army” – Opinion piece | Bristol 24/7 | Feb ’17
- “Thousands of women march” – Feature | The Telegraph | Jan ’17
- “A million march for women’s rights” – Feature | ITV | Jan ’17
- “Women march in Bristol against President Trump” – Feature | Bristol 24/7 | Jan ’17
- “Hell hath no fury…” – Feature | Daily Mail | Jan ’17
- “London’s Best Outdoor Yoga Classes” – Feature | The Londonist | Aug ’14
Press – online
- “Outdoor Fitness at Wild & Well” – Feature | Wild & Well Festival News | Jul ’18
- “Events to Fill You With Joy” – Feature | Wild & Well Festival News | Jun ’18
- “Women of Diverse Ethnicities…in Leadership” – Interview | Bristol 24/7 | May ’18
- “Wonderful Women Awards” – Interview | Bristol Women’s Voice | May 2018
- “Get Fit For Summer at Green Park Station” – Feature | GPS Blog | Apr ’18
- “My #BadAssLadyGang” – Feature | A Pretty Place to Play | Oct ’17
- “The Very Sassy Project Hot B*tch” – Interview | Bristol Fit Mum | Jul ’17
- “4 badass fit women on instagram right now” – Feature | DOSE | Jun ’17
- “Taking Action” – Interview | Bristol Women’s Voice | Feb ’17
- “Why we mustn’t doubt each other” – Interview | EllaKTaylor.com | Jan ’17
- “Eating dirty & hating hot yoga” – Feature | Deliciously Stella Podcast | Feb ’16
- “Why I Yoga” – Interview | &Breathe Yoga | Feb ’16
- Bath Fringe Festival – Jul 2018 – DISCOaerobics class | The Cubicle with Bath University & The Department for Body Image Research at UWE
- Wild & Well Festival – Oct 2018 – DISCOaerobics at M-Shed & BoPo Bootcamp at Ashton Court with Cat Taylor
- Speaker & workshop host for national Sweaty Betty “Wellness Wednesday”. Theme: “Growth doesn’t come from comfort zones”; May 2019
- Speaker at “Workout, Fizz & Body Positivity” for International Women’s Day at F45 Bristol; March 2019
- Speaker and workshop facilitator at the “Body Positive Cafe” event run by Dr. Jessica Alleva and colleagues, from University of West England’s Centre for Appearance Studies; October 2017.
- Speaker at “Take Up Space” – a day curated by Bristol Women’s Voice hosted at M-Shed Bristol for International Women’s Day; March 2017
- Speaker on a panel at “Toast: Empowering Conversations” – a morning curated by Bromley by Bow Centre for International Women’s Day. Theme: “Being Bold”, as part of a Beyond Business entrepreneurship programme, supported by Investec; March 2017
- Women’s March on Bristol – planned Bristol’s peaceful, positive political march in 72 hours from my kitchen table, as part of the global movement on 21st Jan ’17. Arranged logistics for an estimated 2,000 attendees, and led and addressed the march on the day itself. We featured in national and international publications including The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Daily Mail, Bristol 24/7, ITV News, The Bristol Post, The Sun and BBC News. (With huge gratitude to Kelly Pike at Folk PR).
- Co-founded Female Empowerment Network Bristol along with Polly Shelton-Lowe, following the hugely successful Women’s March on Bristol – January 2017
- Co-founded and led “probably the happiest running club in London“.”Run Like a Girl” was launched to promote community & build brand awareness, London (co-founders and co-hosts Bella Kinesis) – 2015/16
- Wonderful Women Award – Bristol Women’s Voice | March 2018
As part of Bristol Women’s Voice’s International Women’s Day celebrations on the 3rd of March 2018. I was humbled to be celebrated along with over 50 women from across Bristol, who had been nominated for contributions to our communities.
- Consulted on business strategy for independent boutique gym, Bristol – 2019
- Consulted on brand creation and initial business set up for Meraki Fitness, Bristol – 2019
- Consulted on strategy, social media and marketing for Wild Wolf’s Yoga, Bristol – 2017 (info on request)
- Consulted on social media, events and marketing for a high profile gym, Bristol – 2016 (info on request)
Pop-ups & Events
- Planned and hosted BodyHAPPY, a Confidence pop-up event at Printworks Kitchen, London (showcasing Fitology and The Viking Method) – 2016
- Planned & co-hosted “3/60 Challenge” for boutique studio FitMiBody, London (co-hosted with Elizabeth Kerr) – 2016
- Planned & co-hosted “Yoga For Every Body” pop-up at Yotopia, London (co-hosted with &Breathe Yoga) – 2015
- Planned & co-hosted “Sweat Like a Girl”, pop-up at Hot Yoga Society, London (co-hosted with Bella Kinesis) – 2015
- Planned & co-hosted sell-out Sunset Sessions rooftop yoga series, featuring in Time Out London and named one of “London’s best outdoor yoga classes” by The Londonist (co-hosted with Lucyoga) – 2014
- Planned and hosted “Real Girls Sweat Fitness Workshop“, London (showcasing Frame Studios, Claire Stone Nutrition, Boxing Yoga and Lucyoga) – 2014
- Planned and co-hosted Fitness Holiday, London/Southampton (co-hosted with Form Fitness) – 2014
- Planned and hosted Fitness Five Challenge, Victor’s Lab, London – 2014
- Planned and co-hosted “be local. be Islington” pop-up (showcasing Boxing Yoga as part of a Lululemon community initiative), Lululemon Islington Showroom, London – 2013
I’ve got a keen understanding of what’s current in the UK fitness scene, I’m a qualified fitness instructor and I understand the language of empowering and inspiring women, particularly around the areas of wellness, fitness and body confidence.