After all of the blog activity around peoples’ new years resolutions today, I’ve decided I should get a few of my own pledged out into the blogverse. I KNOW you have all been sitting at your computers, pressing refresh and just waiting for my two cents worth on the whole concept of new year’s resolutions. I’d hate to disappoint. And so- in 2014, my new years resolutions are:
1. To stop standing in the mirror in my underwear and pulling at the fat bits of my body, thinking “if only that bit was smaller”. I workout, eat relatively well, and it still ain’t smaller. So I better get used to it and learn to love it!
2. To stop standing sideways in the mirror, sucking in my belly and thinking “if only it would stay this flat”. I would look like a freak with a concave belly. I really am being a twat when I do this.
3. To have two glasses of water when that little voice in my head says “one more glass of wine and you are going to be drunk”. I need to realise that two day hangover is all that awaits that extra glass of wine.
4. To have another glass of wine after those two glasses of water. Hangover schmangover. I had some water, now gimme the wine.
5. To stop looking at the bottom of every woman who walks past me and thinking “is mine bigger or smaller?” I invariably conclude”bigger” even when not the case, so this thought process is completely futile unless I start carrying around a tape measure and actually start collecting quantifiable statistics.
6. To congratulate myself after every workout I do. Even if I feel exhausted, unfit and like it was a real struggle- I got up and I did something. I will celebrate that motivation. And I will try very hard not to celebrate it by eating macaroni cheese. I will try.
7. To not stand on the bathroom scales for A WHOLE YEAR. I want to be healthy and strong, and I refuse to be reduced to a feeling brought about by a number on a scale. The Militant Baker has a fantastic post on her “Smash the Scale” campaign here. Read it. Read it and love the gorgeous bodies you live in!
Resolutions are funny things. It often feels like they revolve around losing weight, or quitting something that you actually quite like doing. This year, I want my resolutions to predominantly be about positive health, and I will achieve this by accepting my body as I exercise, eat and think in ways that make me feel good about myself. I resolve to repeat the mantra that health is NOT improved though starvation, exhaustion or misery.
In 2014, I am making a call for action to Hot Bitches in Training everywhere- RESOLVE TO ACCEPT YOURSELF. You should workout because it makes you strong and happy. You should eat well because it tastes good and you get to enjoy eating a meal you prepared from scratch. You should work at maintaining your overall health and not your size. Your health is a pretty awesome thing, and feeling good about yourself will make you want to preserve it, as well as radiating through how you look. It’s like a positive circle of happiness!
Ok, ok, I’ll stop now. I’m actually on the verge of starting to annoy myself. But seriously, just be nice to yourselves, ok?
My final cent on the matter- in no way should you deny yourself completely of “bad” things that genuinely make you happy. I am happier after a workout if I had cake earlier on in the day. In 2014, I resolve to accept that fact.
Keep me posted on your journeys!!