These fruity flatties are a simple alternative to breakfast breads, with a springy bite and a light crust. In their basic form, they contains only two ingredients- flour and yoghurt.
They make an amazing breakfast base when you follow the fruity recipe version below. And by taking out the berries, they can easily be used as a plain muffin substitute- covered in scrambled egg, avocado and smoked salmon, bacon and tomatoes, or even grilled mackerel and a mixed leaf salad.
A really simple, incredibly versatile alternative to flatbread or pancakes for the gluten-free, dairy-free, health conscious, or just the two-ingredients kinda gals among you!
(The below recipe uses gluten free flour and soya yoghurt which I think makes them taste best, but if you’ve no die try issues then you can use regular plain flour and normal yoghurt)
Makes two flatties
- A cup of Gluten free flour blend (regular flour option- use plain rather than self-raising)
- Two small tubs of plain Alpro soy yoghurt (regular yoghurt alternative- 1 small tub of Total Greek Yoghurt for 2 flatties)
- 2x tablespoons of dried cranberries
- 2x tablespoons of frozen blueberries
For the topping:
- 2x Large tablespoon of Nut butter
- 1 large, ripe Banana
- Seed sprinkles
1. Mix the flour and yoghurt together in a bowl until they form a thick, creamy consistency that a spoon would stand upright in.2. Throw in the cranberries & blueberries
3. Split the mixture in 2 and spoon out of the bowl and onto a piece of foil that you’ve used to cover a baking tray
4. Roughly smooth and flatten into rough, thick pancake shapes. Don’t worry about being neat! You want it to be about half the size and twice the thickness of a regular pitta
5. Put under a medium grill heat. Watch carefully- they will take a while to get warm and then suddenly, they’ll burn!
When it starts to go brown on top, use a fish slice to peel off of the foil, and flip them over to grill the other side. Each side will take approx. 4 minutes, but it varies depending on the thickness of your flattie and your grill!
6. When they’re lightly browned on both sides and have a crust to them, peel them off of the foil and serve with a large tablespoon of nut butter and half a banana mashed into a paste and spread on top. Sprinkle on seeds for extra goodness!